Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Awesome God

The other day, I was reading in Ecclesiastes for my time with God when I came across this:

"Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. Go near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools, who do not know what they do wrong.

Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth so let your words be few. As a dream comes when there are many cares, so the speech of a fool when there are many words...Much dreaming and many words are meaningless. Therefore stand in awe of God" (Ecc. 5:1-3; 7).



I am still feeling challenged by this several days later. How do I approach God when I go to spend time with Him? Do I treat Him like an emergency service, only ever telling Him what I need? Do I do all the talking in my time with Him, or do I leave room for Him to speak to me by listening? Do I spend some of my time with Him just standing in awe of who He is and worshiping Him?

More than anything this passage reminds me not to be self-centered or ritualistic in my time with God. He is worthy of my worship. He also doesn't want my time with Him to be a meaningless ritual; rather He desires a dynamic relationship with me everyday (Jn. 17:3). Time in His presence should always be "two-way".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joshua,my beloved grandson, I have sat here at my computer catching up on your postings since last I read before going on holiday. I am in awe.....I love my heavenly Father more and more each day as I see Him revealed in you!,and what He is teaching you in order to give you "a heart after God's own heart".... I have also been blessed reading the comments from Andrea,Sharilyn,Chris,and other friends and family members. I've also been as touched as you have by Chris Meyer and his blog. What awesome posts for one so young in the Lord,but one who hungers and thirsts for an intimate relationship with his Lord and Saviour and to be about the business God has called him to do. Thank you, thank you Josh for introducing us to Chris, he, like you, is a refreshing stream in the desert where believers like me can drink of God's Word and have it explained through young,but spiritually mature eyes.How I praise The Most High, and thank Him for giving me the honour and priviledge of knowing you, my beloved grandson, and loving Him and you with a measureless love. Grandma W